Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

1875 saw Kalkie district residents form a committee for the purpose of raising funds to build a school for the Kalkie Community.
The doors of Kalkie State School opened on February 11, 1878, with headmaster John Young Walker, and students totalling 37 by the end of March.

Many of the early settlers of the area were of German heritage and it is thought that this is where the name “Kalkie ”originated. It is believed that the name relates to the chalk or limestone pebbles that were found in the Woongarra scrub which formed a large part of the area. “Kalk” was the German word for “Chalk” and the “ie” signifies “a little bit” giving rise to Kalkie meaning “a little bit of chalk”.

The heritage-listed shingle-roofed play shed, built in 1879 and listed by the National Trust, provides shelter for the students before and after school and at intermission times.   

A ‘boundary determination of historical significance’ was made by the Environment and Heritage Department early in 1994 and includes the Cook Pines, Camphor Laurel and Fig Trees; original school (Block A) and the Shelter shed. These buildings and trees are now listed with the National Trust.

In 1972 the school Drum Band was formed and has continued to perform at many functions both locally and in other areas of the state.

Our school has continued to grow over the years with the addition of many new classrooms and specialist facilities but a school is more than facilities, it is the people that set us apart. There is a strong sense of community and pride in our achievements with some of our students being third or fourth generation to attend Kalkie.